Forget Black Friday. Let?s Make Green Friday a Thing.
This holiday season, vote with your wallet
Here?s a challenge. If you?re planning on gifts for the holidays, consider buying from sustainable brands.
Instead of amassing loads of stuff that eventually ends up in our oceans and landfills, why not get thoughtful gifts that do good for People and Planet?
We found a great company in Boulder, Colorado called EarthHero.?They are an eco-friendly marketplace with almost 1,000 sustainable products. They offer unique gifts under $40.
They are giving our Well.org and Well Wallet communities?$20 off your first order.
Ryan Lewis, CEO of EarthHero, says his big vision is to, ?make sustainable shopping and living so commonplace, that everybody does it. There is no alternative. It simply becomes the new norm.?
What kinds of products can I get?
You can find products in almost any category. They have 1,000 products to date and are adding more every week. Here are just a few.
- Sustainable electronics. Yes, this actually exists. At EarthHero, you can get sustainable bluetooth speakers and earbuds.
- Eco Apparel for men, women, kids and baby made from organic, recycled and renewable content.
- Unique products like Bee?s Wrap. With this product, you never have to buy aluminum foil or plastic wrap again. It lasts up to a year, after which you can compost it.
- A travel backpack made from recycled water bottles. It collapses into a pouch that you can literally hold in your hand. Great for computers, hiking, and travel. And it?s only 25 bucks.
- Wallets made out of old sailboat sails.
- Bamboo and cork phone cases.
- …and 1,000 more ideas.
What makes these products sustainable?
EarthHero selects their brands based on a rigorous vetting process. They look at 3 things:
- The material make-up. They seek brands that use recycled, organic and renewable materials like bamboo, cork and hemp. There?s a lot of plastic out there. EarthHero looks for products that can use this recycled content.
- How they treat people.?They look for Fair Trade and other certifications that prove the brand?s commitment to treating people well. This is important to them.
- How they give back.?They look for brands that generate sustainability outside of their own company. For example, they have a sunglasses company that restores vision for someone in a developing country, for every pair of sunglasses they sell.
In all, they look for companies that have a shared ethos. They want people who have built companies with the intention to do good in the world.
This holiday, give meaningful gifts that are good for your planet and your wallet. Check out EarthHero and get $20 off your first order.