Have you always wanted to support clean energy but couldn’t because of rent or pricey solar panels?
Now you can direct your power bill to use clean energy. This is a free service. It takes 5 minutes to set up, and it gives you $20 off your next power bill.
Solar panels aren?t a viable option for everyone. Some people live in buildings that don’t allow solar panels. The price of the solar panels may also be a deterrent. Now you can change your power bill to a clean energy bill, without solar panels.
If you?re paying an electric bill, Arcadia Power can switch your bill to clean energy.
Here?s how they do it.
How Arcadia switches your power bill to use clean energy
Arcadia Power buys Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) from national wind farms and pays the utility companies on your behalf for your energy usage. The process is very easy to set up and only takes 5 minutes.
- Set up an account with Arcadia Power.
- Direct Arcadia Power to take over payment of your energy bill by linking your utility account.
- You pay Arcadia and Arcadia pays the utility bill and matches your usage with Renewable Energy Credits (RECs).
- All of this is managed on the platform.
- What it costs: Free plan: switch 50% of your energy bill to clean energy. Meaning: you just continue to pay what you would have paid for your power usage. Alternatively, there?s the Premium plan: switch 100% of your power bill to renewable energy for $0.015 per kilowatt hour (that comes out to $5 – $20/month more depending on your energy usage).
- Arcadia gives you a nice dashboard showing your energy consumption and how much came from traditional v. renewable energy. We liked this dashboard because it helped us become more conscious of our energy usage (e.g. turning off the lights when you walk out of a room).
- Once you?ve set up your account, you get $20 off your next energy bill.
- That?s it. 5 minutes to do some good in the world and save yourself 20 bucks.
Why is this so easy?
The availability of RECs, Arcadia?s network of wind farm partners, and Arcadia?s ability to pay your utility company on your behalf makes this whole thing possible.
Here?s how RECs work. Renewable energy has two components: the physical electrons and the corresponding Renewable Energy Certificates that track clean energy production. Think of RECs as the currency of the renewable energy market.
When electricity from a wind farm is produced, it is fed into the grid. Once it?s in the grid, there is no way to distinguish clean energy electrons from any other type of energy (nuclear, fossil fuel, etc.). That?s where RECs come in. RECs track how much energy was sent by the wind farm to the grid. Once a REC is used for payment, it cannot be re-used.
When you direct Arcadia to pay your power bill on your behalf, and by matching your usage with RECs, you are helping drive up demand for renewable energy. This is helping our world, and it only takes 5 minutes.
We tried it!
We switched our energy to Arcadia Power. Here?s the actual process.
Step 1: ?enter your email and land on their dashboard
?Pretty straight forward. After you enter your email, you’ll be taken to their dashboard. After you go through the process, this dashboard will show your traditional energy usage v. renewable (aka clean) energy usage.
Step2: Link your utility account.
Select your state and your utility company. Easy. Once you link your account on Arcadia’s secure system, they’ll monitor your current and historical energy usage.
Step 3: Select a membership.
There are two options.
FREE PLAN: Arcadia pays 50% of your power usage with renewable energy credits (this costs you nothing extra ? just pay your power bill as you normally would). You also get a few other freebies like Price Alerts and the Dashboard.
PREMIUM PLAN: Switch your entire energy bill to renewable energy. This is $0.15 per kilowatt hour more. That?s about $5 – $20 more per month added to your power bill, depending on how much power you use. Start or stop anytime. There are no contracts.
Step 4: DONE!
Congrats. They get your account set up with the utility and send you a confirmation email. That’s it.
Now it?s your turn to use your power as a consumer. Take a few minutes to make this important change and save yourself $20 on your next power bill.