The Boomer Retirement Wave is Coming
There are 10,000 baby boomers reaching retirement age every day in the United States. The average American couple over 55 has less than $125,000 in their retirement account. Even with social security, these funds are not nearly enough to cover living expenses, let alone the increasing cost of healthcare. Couples over 65 will spend an average $275,000 in out of pocket medical expenses. The good news? Home sharing is a widely accessible tool for creating passive income.?
How Home Sharing Can Help
Have you ever heard of intergenerational home sharing? Europe has been doing this for years with great success. Here’s the basic idea: older folks looking to stay in their homes are paired with younger people looking for a place to live. There are benefits for both sides.
Silvernest?is a home sharing platform designed for empty nesters. It takes all of the hassle and risk involved with finding housemates out of the process. Their matching engine connects you with people that fit your specific criteria.
Benefits of Home Sharing for People and Planet
- Helps empty nesters and retirees stay in their community and homes.?That means they can continue to enjoy the coffee shops, parks and?friends and family that they know and love.
- Helps create new passive income (this becomes especially important in retirement).
- Helps people find housing while benefiting from the wisdom of our older generations.
- Sharing a home is one of the best things you can do to lower your carbon footprint. The less space, electricity and other resources you use, the better it is for the planet.
?Silvernest provided me with a great housemate match? he is close to my age and we get along very well. Using this system was less stressful than my previous attempts at finding a housemate. Sharing my home eases my economic worries and I enjoy the companionship.???-John Oswald, NYC, Silvernest Homeowner
Why This Platform Works
Silvernest?simplifies the whole process of home sharing.
- It’s easy to create a profile and listing.
- Their matching engine enables home owners to specify their ideal housemate.?
- They offer background checks, leases and automated rent payment. Basically, they take care of the process from beginning to end.
Finding the Human Connection You Want
The great thing about their matching engine is that you can specify housemate criteria. That means you can decide whether you’d someone who will join you for meals, tv, games etc. Or, if you are simply looking to fill the space and stay largely independent, you can do that, too.?
Their housemate matching engine lets you specify criteria such as pets, smoking, faith, work schedule and age preference.
Whether you are looking for companionship, passive income, or a way to stay in your home and community, this could be a good option to consider.
Looking for more ideas on how to make extra income using your house? Check out out article 7 Ways to Make your Home a Sustainable Source of Income .
Photo by Jason Chen